OKC BARONS WEEK IN REVIEW: DECEMBER 3 - 9
By Jim Byers, on 12/10/2012
Recap of Week 9, Dec. 8-9 (2 games, 0-2-0-0)
Season record: 11-8-1-2, 4th, South Division, -3 pts.
• THE WEEK PAST: The Barons wrapped up a season-high 7-game road stretch with consecutive one-goal losses at San Antonio. On Saturday, the Rampage rallied with 2 third-period goals, the winner with 21.1 seconds remaining, to overcome a 3-2 OKC lead and win 4-3. On Sunday, OKC again scored the first goal, taking a 1-0 lead into the second, but San Antonio scored 3 times in the second period and held on for a 3-2 win. OKC has dropped 3 in a row in regulation for the first time this season and is on a season-high 4-game winless streak (0-3-0-1) heading into Tuesday’s 7 pm contest with Peoria in the first Barons’ home game since Nov. 17. After winning the first 3 games of the road swing, the Barons wound up 3-3-0-1.
• THE WEEK AHEAD: A 4-game week, the return to the Cox Center and OKC’s second of 8 sets of 3 games in 3 days begins with the only visit of the regular season by the Peoria Rivermen (St. Louis Blues) on Tuesday at 7 pm. San Antonio returns for back-to-back games at the Cox Center Friday and Saturday at 7 pm as the Barons are in a stretch where 4 out of 5 games are against the Rampage and 13 of 14 are with teams based in Texas. The Barons visit the Houston Aeros on Sunday for a 5:05 pm contest.
• TOSSING TEDDY BEARS: Saturday’s game is the annual Teddy Bear Toss, where fans are asked to bring new or gently used stuffed animals for donation to EMSA. When the Barons score their first goal against the Rampage, fans may throw their stuffed animals toward the ice, where they’ll be collected and donated to EMSA for use in breaking the ice with children who have been involved in a traumatic incident. The Barons Teddy Bear Toss is presented by Chesapeake Energy Corporation.
• SCHULTZ, EBERLE STILL TOPS IN POINTS: Barons rookie defenseman Justin Schultz enters this week leading the AHL in points with 32, on 11 goals and an AHL-best 21 assists. The CCM/AHL Player of the Month for October and Rookie of the Month in November, Schultz had a franchise record-equaling 10-game point streak snapped on Sunday at San Antonio. He had 5 goals and 12 assists during the 10-game streak. Schultz also collected points in each of his first 9 games this season and has been kept off the scoresheet in just 3 of 22 games. CCM/AHL Player of the Month for November, Jordan Eberle, is second in the AHL with 30 points, on 14 goals and 16 assists. Eberle is second in the AHL in goals, 1 behind Syracuse’s Tyler Johnson.
• PK UPDATE: The Barons have killed off 42 of their last 48 times short over the past 11 games (87.5), raising their penalty killing rate from 70.4 to its current 78.4.
• NUGE GOES GLOBAL: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins announced his decision on Saturday to attend Team Canada’s development camp for the 2013 World Junior Championship. The tournament, held this year in Ufa, Russia, begins Dec. 26. Nugent-Hopkins has 8 goals and 20 points in 19 OKC games.
This week’s games (times listed as Central)
Date Opponent Time Arena Radio
Tuesday, Dec. 11 Peoria 7:00 pm Cox Convention Center KXY 96.1 FM
Friday, Dec. 14 San Antonio 7:00 pm Cox Convention Center KXY 96.1 FM
Saturday, Dec. 15 San Antonio 7:00 pm Cox Convention Center KXY 96.1 FM
Sunday, Dec. 16 Houston 5:05 pm Toyota Center KTOK AM 1000
This Article has been viewed: 540 times