OKC BARONS WEEK IN REVIEW: NOVEMBER 19 - 25
By Jim Byers,
Recap of Week 7, Nov. 21-25 (3 games, 3-0-0-0)
Season record: 11-5-1-1, 2nd, South Division, -2 pts.
• THE WEEK PAST: The Barons won all 3 games and have built a season-best 5-game winning streak. OKC opened a stretch of 7 straight road games with a 6-4 win on Wednesday in the first visit to the Texas Stars. It was the first of three straight 3-point games for Taylor Hall, who amassed 1 goal, 8 assists and was a +6 in 3 games last week. OKC then swept the Charlotte Checkers on Saturday and Sunday in the first of 8 meetings between the current first and second place teams in the South Division. The Barons closed to within 2 points of Charlotte in the standings after 4-2 and 7-2 victories, during which Jordan Eberle chipped in 2 goals each game. League point leader Justin Schultz enters this week with a 7-game point streak, collecting 3 goals and 9 assists in that span. Schultz has points in 16 of 18 games played and owns 10 multi-point contests. OKC was shut out in Schultz’s only pointless games.
• THE WEEK AHEAD: The Barons return home Monday, spend one full day in OKC, then return to the road to face the Houston Aeros at the Toyota Center Thursday and Friday at 7:05 pm CST. The Barons have a win, a loss and a shootout loss in 3 meetings with the Aeros, all at the Cox Center. After the 2-game set at Houston, the Barons go 7 calendar days without playing before visiting San Antonio Dec. 8-9. The 7-day break starting Dec. 1 is the team’s longest layoff of the regular season.
• POINT RACE UPDATE: Barons rookie defenseman Justin Schultz enters this week leading the AHL in points with 28, including 10 goals and an AHL-best 18 assists. The CCM/AHL Player of the Month for October, Schultz totaled 1 goal with 4 assists while a +7 in just the 2 games at Charlotte over the weekend. Schultz leads the league in plus-minus at +14. Jordan Eberle is second in the AHL with 26 points, on 11 goals and 15 assists. Eberle has 4 straight multi-point games dating to Nov. 17, during which he has 5 goals, 5 assists and a +6 rating. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is part of a 3-way tie for fourth in the league in points with 20 (8G, 12A).
• DANIS THE BACKSTOP: Last season’s first-team All-Star and Goaltender of the Year Yann Danis has been in net for all 5 consecutive wins, going 5-0-0 with a 2.18 goals-against average and a .934 save percentage, stopping 155 of 166 shots in that time.
• POWER: OKC has the AHL’s top 2 power play point producers. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins leads with 12 (3G, 9A) while Justin Schultz is second with 11 (3G, 8A). Jordan Eberle is tied for third in power play scoring with 2 goals and 8 assists.
• POINTS: In addition to winning 5 straight, OKC has standing points in each of its last 6, going 5-0-1-0 dating to Nov. 13. The Barons have improved during that stretch from 15th in point percentage (.542 prior to an OT loss Nov. 13) to 6th currently (.667).
• PK ON THE RISE: The Barons have killed of 28 of their last 31 times short over the past 7 games, raising their penalty killing rate from 70.4 to its current 77.6.
THE JUSTIN SCHULTZ LEDGER
Through Nov. 25 Games played: 18
Goals 10 AHL Rank: T-6th
Assists 18 AHL Rank: 1
Points 28 AHL Rank: 1
Plus-minus +14 AHL Rank: 1
Power play pts 11 AHL Rank: 2
NOTABLE AHL DEFENSEMEN SCORING RECORDS
Most goals, one season, by a defenseman 30 John Slaney, WB/Scranton, 1999-2000
Most goals, one season, by a rookie defenseman* 20 John Slaney, Baltimore, 1992-93
Most assists, one season, by a defenseman 74 Chris Snell, St. John’s, 1993-94
Most assists, one season, by a rookie defenseman* 47 Mike Gaul, Hershey, 1997-98
Most points, one season, by a defenseman 96 Chris Snell, St. John’s, 1993-94
Most points, one season, by a rookie defenseman* 66 John Slaney, Baltimore, 1992-93
*AHL rookie records date to the 1982-83 season
This week’s games (times listed as Central)
Date Opponent Time Arena Radio
Thursday, Nov. 29 Houston 7:05 pm Toyota Center KXY 96.1 FM
Friday, Nov. 30 Houston 7:05 pm Toyota Center KXY 96.1 FM
(return to articles...)
This Article has been viewed: 475 times