By Eric Rodgers, on 01/05/2013

A two-goal rally in the 3rd period tied the game up for the Oklahoma City Barons, coming from 2-0 down against the Milwaukee Admirals, and the Barons earned the 3-2 win in a shootout at the BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee. Justin Schultz led the way for the Barons with two assists, while Olivier Roy made 15 saves to improve the Barons to an 18-12-1-3 record. Jeremy Smith made 35 saves in net for Milwaukee, as the Admirals fell to 16-14-2-1 on the season.

The first period was mainly controlled by the Barons until the 7:14 when Alex Plante was called for roughing. On the ensuing power play, Taylor Beck sent the puck to Chris Mueller and Mueller found defenseman Victor Bartley for the goal and the 1-0 lead. The goal was the first allowed by the Barons in the 1st period since December 16th. A chance on the power play came for the Barons at 17:10 as Mark van Guilder was whistled for hooking. The man-advantage was unsuccessful for the Barons, and the score favored the Admirals 1-0 after twenty minutes. For only the fourth time all season, and the first since November 21st, the Barons trailed after the 1st period.

Outshooting the Admirals 15-5 in the 1st, the Barons killed off a penalty from Taylor Hall early in the 2nd to keep hold of the 1-0 score. The Barons received a power play chance midway through the 2nd as Mark van Guilder was called for delay of game after shooting the puck out of play. On the faceoff, the puck was shot into the Barons zone and a misplay by Olivier Roy led to a wraparound chance by Kevin Henderson and a shorthanded goal to put the Barons down 2-0 at 11:08. The Barons were outshot 6-7 in the period, but held a 21-12 total shots advantage at the second intermission.

Early in the 3rd, Anton Lander drew a high-sticking double minor from Michael Latta to give the Barons a much-needed power play. At the 8:45 mark, Taylor Hall received a cross-ice pass from Mark Arcobello and he one-timed it into the net past Jeremy Smith to bring the Barons to within one. Justin Schultz earned the other assist on the goal.

The Milwaukee defense stood firm through most of the 3rd period as the Barons put fifteen shots on net, but Tyler Pitlick was able to draw a tripping penalty against Taylor Beck to give the Barons their second power play chance of the period. Fifteen seconds into the man-advantage, Jordan Eberle got the pass from Justin Schultz and Eberle got the equalizer for the Barons at 17:49. Eberle earned his league-leading 25th goal of the season as Teemu Hartikainen was given the secondary assist, while Schultz earned his second assist of the game.

A late chance by the Barons and Jordan Eberle was cut short by the horn to end regulation time and send the game to overtime. A breakaway chance by Mark van Guilder was the best chance by the Admirals in the extra period, but Olivier Roy made the five-hole stop and turned aside three others to send the game to a shootout.

Magnus Paajarvi opened the scoring for the Barons in the first round, while Lander, Eberle, Arcobello, and Hall were turned aside. Austin Watson was the lone scorer for the Admirals in the shootout as Roy turned aside four of five shooters to send the shootout into sudden death rounds. Juuso Puustinen was turned away by Roy in the sixth round, while Justin Schultz scored in the following attempt to give the Barons the 3-2 shootout win.

The Barons outshot the Admirals 37-17, putting up fifteen shots in both the 1st and 3rd periods, while holding the Admirals to just one shot in the 3rd. The Barons were 2-for-5 with the man-advantage in the game, and the Admirals went 1-for-2.

The Barons are back in action tomorrow at 4 pm CST at the Allstate Arena in Chicago to take on the Wolves for the first time this season.



(return to articles...)

This Article has been viewed: 1623 times