By Richard Immel, on 11/16/2012

             Sparked by reigning Goaltender of the Year Yann Danis, the Oklahoma City Barons (7-5-1-1) defeated the Milwaukee Admirals (6-7-0-0) 2-1 in overtime, in what turned out to be an all out slugfest Friday night at the Cox Convention Center.

The first period provided Barons fans with a grinding brand of hockey as neither team was able to deliver a goal, however, both teams demonstrated their resolve not to back down. The teams combined for 24 penalty minutes in the first period.  

            Milwaukee ended the scoring drought quickly into the second period as Admirals center Austin Watson sent a backhanded effort over the downed Danis off a rebound of his own shot at the 1:05 mark.

            The aggressive play that persisted in the first period continued in the second.  A slew of roughing and fighting penalties led to a total of 56 minutes in penalties through two periods of play.

            Oklahoma City got on the board with 7:31 left in the second when first-year defenseman Taylor Fedun scored his first goal as a pro.  After winning a draw, Fedun and Justin Schultz exchanged passes just inside the Barons blueline.  Fedun fired the puck goalward and it made its way past Admirals netminder Jeremy Smith.

            Milwaukee appeared to respond with a goal of its own at the 13:50 mark, but after an official review, the goal it did not stand and the game remained deadlocked for the remainder of the period.

            The game’s frenetic pace continued for the majority of the third period with neither team gaining an advantage, until a scary moment halted play with 3:31 left in regulation.  Admirals right wing Taylor Beck and Barons defenseman Alex Plante got tangled up and crashed into the end board. Beck was carted off of the ice and latest reports indicate he was able to talk and move his extremities on his way to the hospital. Plante was charged a five-minute major penalty leaving the Barons a man down for the remainder of regulation.

            Oklahoma City was able to stave off the Admirals offensive attack the last 3:31 of the third and send the game into overtime thanks to an outstanding penalty killing and goaltending by Danis. This was the third straight game the Barons found their way into an extra period, having split the previous two.

            The Barons ventured into overtime still down one man for the first 1:29 of the period. Yann Danis stood tall and shut down any and every attempt by the Admirals to get the puck in the net.

            The Barons finally broke through as Martin Marincin delivered a gem of a pass to Marc Arcobello for the game-winning goal soon after the team returned to full strength. Justin Schultz was also credited with an assist on the play.

            Oklahoma City resumes play tomorrow night in the second of two against the Milwaukee Admirals at 7 p.m. at the Cox Convention Center in Downtown Oklahoma City.
click for boxscore:

(return to articles...)

This Article has been viewed: 1119 times