By Cassie Gage, OKC Barons on 11/02/2012

The Oklahoma City Barons held on for a 4-3 win over the Houston Aeros Friday evening at the Cox Convention Center. Taylor Hall made his AHL debut and Jordan Eberle had two goals as the Barons moved to 5-3-0-0. Yann Danis made a season-high 35 saves against the Aeros (4-3-1-0).

Hall wasted no time in getting on the scoreboard as he scored 38 seconds in to give Oklahoma City a 1-0 lead. Hall tipped a point shot from Colten Teubert past starting Houston netminder Darcy Kuemper. The goal came on Hall’s first shift and was the quickest goal scored to start a Barons game this year.

Eberle made it 2-0 as he picked up a loose puck outside the crease and put it past Kuemper at 1:26. Houston
called its timeout after allowing the two early goals.

Danis stood tall in the period, making several quality saves to keep the game scoreless. The Aeros had an 8-6 lead in shots at the end of the first period.

The second period belonged to Danis as he turned away 13 second-period shots from the Aeros, upping the game total to 21 for Houston. The Aeros controlled the pace for much of the first half of the period but Danis kept them off the board.

His save of the period came just ahead of the halfway point of the period as he stretched to snag a Brian Connelly shot out of mid-air.

Teemu Hartikainen extended the Barons lead to 3-0 late in the period at 18:27 as his pass attempt went off Kuemper’s skates and into the goal. Despite the Aeros leading in shots, 21-13, at the end of the period, the Barons managed to take a 3-0 lead into the locker room.

In stark contrast to the first two periods, the Aeros took control of the third period and rallied back to tie the game late before the Barons were able to put the game away.

Mikael Granlund broke the shutout, scoring off a second rebound at 3:46. Less than a minute later, Johan Larrson pulled the Aeros to within one as he put home a pass from Charlie Coyle to make it 3-2 at 4:24.

Houston converted on the power play at 10:53 to tie the game at 3-3. Coyle redirected a Brian Connelly pass for his sixth goal of the year.

The Barons responded in the best way possible as Eberle took a pass from Justin Schultz and curled it past Kuemper for the eventual gamewinner at 13:44.

Hall took a match penalty late for a blow to the head and the Barons faced a five-minute penalty kill late in the match. Danis ended the busy penalty kill with a save as Oklahoma City held on to win 4-3.

The two teams faceoff Saturday evening at 7 p.m. CT inside the Cox Convention Center.

click here for boxscore:

(return to articles...)

This Article has been viewed: 2014 times