By Blake Colston, on 05/25/2012

A Simon Gysbers goal at 8:38 of the third proved to be the eventual game and series clinching goal as the Toronto Marlies eliminated the Oklahoma City Barons from the Calder Cup Playoffs with a 3-1 win Friday inside Ricoh Coliseum.

An entertaining first period featured tremendous goaltending by Oklahoma City’s Yann Danis and Toronto’s Ben Scrivens. Both netminders denied excellent scoring chances with Scrivens receiving help from the goalpost on one occasion.

Danis was able to keep the Marlies' skilled offensive lineup off the scoreboard for a majority of the first period. Unfortunately for Danis and the Barons, a Dan Ringwald hooking penalty whistled only 26 seconds into the game led to Matt Frattin’s league-leading ninth goal of the playoffs and put Oklahoma City in an early 1-0 hole only 1:13 into regulation. Pinpoint passing by the Marlies freed Frattin who fired top shelf past Danis.

Two Barons' man advantages went by scoreless thanks in large part to Toronto netminder Ben Scrivens, who denied all eight first period shots on goal.

A late first period penalty on the Marlies carried over into the second and when the Barons failed to score their string of scoreless hockey totaled more than ninety minutes.

After a slashing call nullified what would have been an Oklahoma City power play late in the period the Barons' scoreless streak seemed destined to continue, but Chris VandeVelde scored at 19:45 of the second during four-on-four hockey to tie the game at one. The goal halted Oklahoma City’s scoreless streak at 127:49.

VandeVelde was setup by Magnus Paajarvi who skated in and around two Marlies defenders and pulled goaltender Ben Scrivens out of position, leaving the net open for VandeVelde.

Just as in the second period, Oklahoma City opened the third with a five-on-four chance but it came and went.

The Marlies put home the eventual game winner at 8:38 of the third when Nicolas Deschamps sped into the Barons near the circle and floated a pass to the point where Simon Gysbers wound up and fired a shot past Yann Danis’ glove side.

The game was sealed on an empty net goal by Matt Frattin with less than a minute to play that provided the final margin of 3-1.

With the defeat, the Barons dropped three consecutive regulation decisions for the first time all season.

Yann Danis stopped 22 of 24 shots he faced while Toronto netminder Ben Scrivens denied 26 of 27.

(return to articles...)

This Article has been viewed: 1942 times